Observing Kristen
a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

I thought I was Conscious…
Posted on March 8th, 2011 at 3:40 pm by kristen88 and

Consciousness

1. awareness of surroundings: the state of being awake and aware of what is going on around you
“feelings of dizziness followed by loss of consciousness”
2. somebody’s mind: somebody’s mind and thoughts
“In time, this experience will fade from your consciousness.”
3. shared feelings and beliefs: the set of opinions, feelings, and beliefs of a group
“national consciousness”
4. awareness of particular issue: awareness of or sensitivity to a particular issue
“health consciousness”

(Bing Dictionary)

Exploring Consciousness by Rita Carter completely boggeled my mind as I was reading it. The way I thought about being conscious and unconscious is totally wrong, according to the reading. At one moment in time you can only have the capacity of being conscious enough to report abouy four or five objects or different aspects within a scene.
 “Inattentional blindness” and “change blindness” are two things that tend to happen to us everyday. “Inattentional blindness” is when we miss out on something we are not primed to look for in a scene. “Change blindess” is when we miss out on a major change, even when we are looking directly at the scene.
  When talking about blind people and them being able to feel the presence of something, I found it very interesting, because it in fact is true. In one of my shows, Pretty Little Liars, Jenna is blind, and walks with a walking stick and dark sunglasses on at all times. In the last episode, she walks into the bathroom, where three of the girls are standing in silence, and then Jenna spoke out to them saying, “Hello. Anyone there? Who is there?” She knew there was someone else in the bathroom with her without having to see or hear them speak.
 “Consciousness is not immediate..There us a full fifth of a second delay, on average, between the time a visual stimulus arrives at the brain and the time it becomes conscious.” (25) I found it fascinating that when we see something moving, it is only after half a second of the brain becoming aware and conscious of it. We tend to think that we see things as they move as they move. “Consciousness seems to arrise at the same time as eveents actually take place. We actually live our lives half a second out of synchrony with the external world – but when we report on the external world we do so in the belief that we are keeping pace with it.” (29) This really makes me think about what I am seeing around me when I notice it. Its like when I see a person walk by, it actually takes half a second for me to become aware of the fact that they are walking by, even though I feel as if I understand it instantly.
 The only conscious that is certain of is that which you can report through the help of knowledge and has the ability to monitor its own state.

Comments so far:

Link Here | March 29, 2011,

We actually live our lives half a second out of synchrony with the external world – but when we report on the external world we do so in the belief that we are keeping pace with it.” (29) Think about this in relation to Muybridge’s work, Kristen.

I think this is probably a useful sense of disorientation that you’re feeling–you’re not alone.

4/4

Dominique |

TrackBack URI