Observing Kristen
a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

Reproduction Connection
Posted on March 16th, 2011 at 11:04 pm by kristen88 and

Eadweard Muybridge and his stop motion photography is fascinating. Who would have thought to take pictures, moment to moment, to see and to prove a point, like how muscles move and that when a horse runs, all four legs are off the ground. This to me is an example of photographic reproduction which Benjamin talks about where, “with the aid of certain processes, such as enlargement or slow motion, can capture images which escape natural vision.” (65)

After doing the Benjamin reading I was very confused how the preface and the epilogue connected with the six sections. Arts and politics did not make sense to me.

I thought the line, “Lithography enabled graphic art to illustrate everyday life, and it began to keep pace with printing.” (64) The reason for this is because it made me think about the Carter piece and when I read and learned that connections made from what we see, like a person walking past us, and the connection it makes in our head to know that the person is walking by, is delayed by like three seconds. Everyday life is delayed, so does that make the pace of printing delayed too?

“Since the eye perceives more swiftly than the hand can draw.” (64) This made me think about the previous readings we have done, and how for example Emily Dickinson¬† used her poetry to create perception and how Turner perceived his paintings.

“Even the most perfect reproduction of a work of art is lacking in one element: its presence in time and space, its unique existence at the place where it happens to be.” (64) It is so true. A photograph captures a moment which you will never experience again. A painting can never be identically duplicated unless by machinery. A work of art is created during a moment in time, which was for that time, in that time, and not know in the present moment.

“For the first time, captions have become obligatory. And it is clear that they have an altogether different character that the title of the painting.” (68) This made me think about the Trachtenberg piece. On page 314 we have figure 17 with the caption, “A Burial Party, Cold Harbour, VA., April, !865.” The last thing the burial of anybody could be is a party. You can have a picture of clear blue sunny sky and someone can make the caption¬† ‘The Cold of My Heart,’ proving that people can easily edit and change the authenticity of something original and lose out on the true aura.

Comments so far:

Link Here | March 29, 2011,

Helpful connection to Trachtenberg, Kristen.

4/4

Dominique |

TrackBack URI